This 1938 Jaguar SS 100 3.5 Convertible came out of a 30 year ownership with Sir Dave Garroway, the original anchor and host of The Today Show on NBC starting in the late 1940s. Mr. Garroway raced regularly into the the early 1950s.
Mr. Garroway had the original 3.5 litre engine outfitted with a Rootes supercharger and as told to Sports Car Illustrated in 1955, "I blew out this powerplant while tearing off a few rounds at the Studebaker proving grounds. I guess the old boy just collapsed from over work - it'd been bored to the nth degree."
Following Mr. Garroway's racing days in the early 1950s, he would go on to own 39067 for another two and a half decades until selling his prized SS 100 to noted Jaguar collector, Steve Sim Roberts, of Colorado. He showed the SS 100 regularly at various concours and Jaguar meetings out West as well as running in the California Mille. The SS 100 instantly recognizable with Mr. Roberts' Colorado license plate, PIZZAZ. And just like Mr. Garroway, Mr. Roberts owned the SS 100 for three decades as well.
Having seen little use since its comprehensive servicing and looking today very much the way it did with Mr. Garroway, this distinctive SS 100 in need of only a new custodian, maybe for the next 30 years.
- One of just 118 SS 100 3.5 litre built between 1938 - 1940.
- In-period Jaguar factory supplied XK120M engine.
- Period correct SS 100 3.5 litre engine accompanies.
- Astonishingly voluminous history file dating back to new.
- Original letters, magazine features and photos dating back to new.
- Pre and Post-War racing history.
- In-period alligator interior.
- Recent major servicing.
- Worldwide event eligible.
Amazing historical prize at a bargain price of $439,500 FIRM